Tuesday 11 November, 2008

Reminders of home

Had a couple of incidents the last week that reminded me of home.

First of all, found a shop here where you can get all kinds of South Indian food. Was pleasantly surprised to see frozen porottas, puttu, and even parippuvada(!!), but the kicker was reading the label on the box. Any guesses as to where all this was packed? South Kalamassery!! That's right, a measly 10 mins from my home back in Kochi!!! So I guess if I can't have homemade food, at least I can get food made close to home ;-)

Also got a chance to revisit an old hobby of mine. On the tram ride back spent the entire time right behind the driver observing the way he was driving it, and looking out the front windscreen. Loved doing this (riding up front with the driver) back when I was a kid, but never had the chance to do so ever since I stopped taking the bus to school (and whoever thought of that "women in front" rule in buses back home deserves a kick up his/her backside, IMHO).

It's the small things that bring a smile to your face, I guess :)

No comments: